Monday, January 25, 2010

L♥VE... definition please?

Ok, this is an area that we can all say we've experienced, searched for, been hurt and/or confused by, been deep in, or still trying to define. Personally, I have experienced a love that I still get chills from. It was liberating, intoxicating, and euphoric. It was one of the best times in my life. Key word, " WAS".. lol.. I let "we" become "me", and it was no longer. That was a few years ago....


One of the most profound things about God is that He is a jealous god. It is in His commandments, "thou shalt not have any other gods before me". In 1 John 5:2 we find "for this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." He was very clear. But within that "gods", there can be soooooo many things placed in that category. It could be a job, a man, a relationship, your children, your hobby, your craft, your passion, etc. There is nothing that is supposed to come between you and God. I learned this the hard way and have come to know God in ways that I've never known. This Agape love is one that cannot be replaced or substituted by any other kind of love.


Biblically, the word "agape" is defined in Mark 12:30-31:"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. "


As I searched through the net, Love is defined as "a strong positive emotion of regard and affection, be enamored, have a great liking for." Those are some strong words. All for another person? Imagine if we loved ourselves just that much. If we took the time to pursue that intimate relationship with God that He wants us to, we really would be on track. I guess it always takes one of life's hiccups or setbacks to realize it, but all along, the love we desired could be found within.


One of my favorite scriptures is 1 Corinthians 13:4, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." That mere definition brings tears to my eyes. All of that can be found in love? Wow. That should be in all love. Love for your family. Your significant other. Your children. Your neighbor. Your friends.


Operating in love is one of the most powerful abilities that any human been can have. It is simply amazing. I was always so confused as to why my "love" fell apart or why we weren't walking together in that golden sunset that they show in fairy tales. lol. I went back and re-read the definition of love from the word, and it was clear. I lost focus. I wasn't operating in the love that we were commanded to do. I was jealous, boastful, self-seeking, angry, kept a record, all of that. All of the WRONG stuff. It was awful. My love changed because I changed my love. And God had to take me from that place.


I am essentially writing this as a form of purging and one of healing. Recently I was in a situation where I was the woman witnessing another woman fight for a love that was already hers. As women, we tend to want to get more "answers" and dig for more clues. The truth of the matter is, if that relationship is yours and of God, there is nothing or no one that can come against it. It is merely a matter of operating in the right love and trusting God. We all have to be held accountable for our actions and what we do.


The night before last, I was watching the Hope for Haiti Now telethon and one story really, really stuck out to me. *tears* There was this husband crying out in the street for his wife that was stuck in their house. He began to listen for her faint cries and begin to try to dig her out himself. He rallied some of the other survivors to get her out. For 6 days, he was searching for her in this rubble. By the 6th day, he had a full rescue crew assembled to help him pull her out. Low and behold, they sayw her hand and it was still moving. They told him to move back. He said, "No, that's my wife, and will wait for her." -pause-


Did you read that, "...I will wait for her." Those words sent chills down my spine and pierced my soul. That's the kind of love that God has for us. He will wait for us to get it together and love us just the same every single time. And as a bonus, God has a mate for us, on earth, that will love us with that same fervor. Don't settle for that mediocre love, settle for that, "..I will wait for you love."


Loving each and every day, in every way possible,



~Mel


1 comment:

Erica Jordan said...

that was such a beautiful piece!