Monday, January 11, 2010

Do you see what I see?

Well, I had a great weekend. Spent time with friends, hung up with the fam as usual, and I had a lot of time to reflect. While out and about, doing my usual, I didn't really feel like getting all dolled up. Sometimes I get tired of being the "fly girl" everyone wants to see. So, I decided to throw on my UGGS and some jeans and ran out. So I was in Target (of course) and this guy is staring at me relentlessly. Im like, "dude, is there a problem? Is there something on my face? What is it?" I mean, real attitude. He just laughed. So you know I was getting good and heated. He was like, "you're so cute. Don't you know that?" Well, that demolished my bad attitude. I couldn't help but be nice and say thank you. lol. I found my way to a mirror and I looked at my hair scattered on top of my head and my thrown together outfit and I was thinking, "You've got to be kidding me." Just as clear as day I heard God say, "Do you see what I see?"
I looked around, I looked up, I looked all around. Surely that is not what I heard. But it was. It was in that very moment that God begin to minister to me (as He always seems to) while I was shopping. So often we get caught up in what the mirror is showing us, that we don't think about what is on the other side of the mirror. The image that God made us in. In His own image.
Sometimes we go through life trying to live up to this "image" that we think we are supposed to be or what people want and we somehow lose direction. The crazy thing is, often times people think more highly of us than we do. I know I am guilty of it. I get calls/text/emails/messages from people saying, "What's up big time", "Hey baller", "What's up Ms.Fashionista", or "I know you got it going on in Atlanta. I my mind, I'm like, "honey, if you could walk a mile in my shoes, you have no idea".
When I look at all the things people have said and what they thought of me (the good stuff), it wasn't to offend or to upset me, it was like God was reminding me of what I projected. Who I am. OR who I am to be. Having people think you're a world changer or trendsetter isn't a bad thing. Sure the pressure can be a little much, but sometimes you have to push yourself to be bigger because it is going to inspire someone else to be who they need to be.
When you, internally, don't feel like much or when your self esteem is at an all time low, go to a mirror and try to find the God in you. Stop looking at the blemishes or the things you wish you could change. Look at what God can work with. Try to find what God sees.
Whenever I think about how I view myself, I think about my mom when I was little. I remember looking back at pics and seeing my big apple head with barely a ribbon top on my head and the biggest dress, with frills and lace. I asked my mom why she would doll me up like that. She said, "When you were little, you barely had any hair, but you were all mine. I used to tell you how beautiful you were everyday, even as a little girl. I spoke over you and told you you were going to grow up to be a gorgeous woman of God." That still brings tears to my eyes. She saw who I was to be before I even made the steps to become it.
That's how God views us. In His image. In His perfection. His creatures. No matter what we've done, where we've been, what we've seen, or what we've said. He sees the ultimate glory in us, even when we don't. If you think the past is what's holding you back, remember:
Isaiah 43:18- "Forget the former things, do not dwell in
the past" (yes, that's actually a scripture).
I challenge you today to answer God back when He asks you, "Do you see what I see?. Not only do you need to answer with a resounding "YES", you need to begin to live like the person that you know God has destined you to be.

Seeing just what He sees or at least trying to,
~Mel

3 comments:

Bernice said...

Thanks for the posting...I hope you mind Im going to post this on my inspirational board at home....




Please participate in my 1st Giveaway at
RealHousewivesOfFashion.blogspot.com.

Thanks!

Beauty Is Diverse said...

Great post. :)

Erica Jordan said...

great post...it definitely spoke to me. oh and "the best in me" is THE song!